Friday, October 5, 2012

Have you ever seen an English Bulldog in a tutu?

Well, during the floor portion of dance class this morning, I had a moment where and image popped unbeckoned into my mind's eye.  I felt like an English Bulldog in a tutu attempting ballet, surrounded by luxurious, exuberant Afghan hounds.



This is me!  I would like to point out that even though that image popped into my mind, I was still smiling!  (as the dog in the photo is too.)  Funny, now that I look at the picture, I was also breathing heavy, and probably slack jawed as well.












This is the rest of the class......leaping impossibly high,  landing as delicately as a feather wafting down to the ground, exuberantly expressing themselves through their finely honed craft.

I kept right on going.  I am not so sure why the floor part of the class has been harder for me than the barre portion so far.  I suppose it is because you are more exposed and alone on the floor......the barre is a sort of security blanket that I can hold onto, that added measure of security that I am probably not going to fall.  Out on the floor, it is just you, yourself, and ...well, you.

I stopped to talk to the instructor after the last class and shared with him that my mind recalls most of what he is instructing us to do when he relays the sequences to us, but that my body is not able to do it.  He said to just get out there and keep trying.  I was wondering if I should watch and observe the other dancers for awhile and then make my attempts at the floor.  "No" was his answer.  Get out there today, go for it, and do the best you can today.

So that is what this little bulldog did.  As long as I could.  I have to admit that halfway through the last set, my mind literally went on overload, and I bailed out.  My brain shut down, and said, "Enough for today".  It was the last group and the last sequence  - I nearly made it.

On a practical note, the instructor suggested that I watch some refresher videos online to get my jumps and turns back in shape.  I will have to see what www.youtube.com has in store to help - he says there is a lot to choose from out there.





How soon before I feel like an Afghan too?

There is no way of knowing.  However, I have already noticed some serious changes in myself!  Even though it has only been a few classes since my return to ballet, I noticed that I am standing taller, with my shoulders down and back, and with my neck straight and long, and my head straight on my shoulders.  I have been holding myself up, as if a string is pulling the crown of my head to the sky.  This is how I used to carry myself.  Now, I am again.

When I sit - forget it.  The schlumpy habits of someone who had let go a bit are still holding strong.  But when I stand up, I feel a familiar presence of the strong girl I once was......and the seeds of the Afghan hound I will become.


(**Photography on this post is not mine - the photos are from Bing Images.)

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are back to posting, Santa Monica Chick! Love the whole 'back to the barre' concept - and love what your instructor said about not waiting and watching but instead going out and doing the best you can NOW...words to live by!
    PS: if it's any comfort, I can totally identify with the 'bulldog-in-a-tutu' feeling - every time I put on a pair of cycling shorts for a spin class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was too crazy during the whole wedding planning time to post. Now that life is getting back to normal - expect regular postings!

    ReplyDelete